Experience fun and engaging subject-specific workshops (KS3); Experience fun and engaging subject-specific workshops linked to GCSE core subjects (KS4); Experience fun and engaging subject-specific workshops that demonstrate how the subject is taught at university.
Spark an interest in a particular subject in order to raise attainment and aspirations.
Key Stage 3
White Water Writers
Small groups of young people collaboratively write and publish a book in a week.
- Develop creative writing and literacy skills
- Learn how to edit writing
- Develop confidence in their writing ability
Key Stage 4
Higher Horizons is working in collaboration with the Saturday Club Trust to offer two free, weekly Saturday morning clubs at Staffordshire University. One Saturday Club is for young people interested in Art and Design, while the other is for young people interested in Science and Engineering. The Clubs will run for 30 weeks and link in with National Saturday Club events happening around the country.
- Explore subject interests outside of the classroom
- Develop and expand on curriculum learning
- Work on projects set by university lecturers and technicians
Totally Awesome Science, Maths, and English
Designed to boost learning in key subjects through fun, interactive workshops at Keele University, linked to the curriculum.
- Experience fun and engaging subject-specific workshops and activities
- Boost subject learning in an extra-curricular setting
- Develop subject interests outside of school
Key Stage 5
EPQ and Research Skills Day
Designed for learners taking the Extended Project Qualification, this day at one of our campuses teaches learners about independent research projects, skills to succeed and how this links to the way you study at university.
- Learn how to conduct an independent research project
- Practice research skills
- Learn how independent research forms part of the university experience
Revision Skills workshop
Practice tools and techniques to improve revision
- Learn about different revision skills and learning styles
- Practice revision skills and understand how to revise for exams
- Learn some stress-busting techniques to help with the stress of exams
What other schools have said
Four very interesting and engaging science sessions, one hour per session was just right to keep them focused.Mark Tipping, Head of Year, Excel Academy