Introduce the language and benefits of higher education (KS3); Develop understanding of student finance, how to choose a university, and the different pathways available at post-16 (KS4); Access support through the university application process (KS5).
Deliver interactive and engaging sessions to give young people all the information they need to make an informed choice about their future.
Key Stage 3
Higher Education: The Facts workshop
A fun hands-on game where pupils learn key facts about the university experience, bust myths about student finance, and student life.
- Learn facts about different types of university
- Learn facts about student life and what university is like
- Dispel common myths about student loans
GCSE Options: Informed Decision Making workshop
A workshop about selecting GCSE options and how this influences future careers and education.
- Practice decision making skills
- Learn about how GCSE and post-16 choices affect future careers
- Learn about different post-16 educational pathways
Key Stage 4
Bang for your Buck workshop
This competitive budgeting game helps your pupils to think about how best to manage their money when they’re at university.
- Learn key information about student loans
- Develop budgeting skills for the real world
- Learn about the university experience and what students spend their money on
Find Your Pathway: A Levels, BTECs, and Apprenticeships
A hands-on workshop where your pupils will be set a series of research tasks, collecting pieces of the pathway puzzle along the way.
- Learn about the differences between post-16 options
- Learn about A Levels and the ‘academic’ route to university
- Learn about BTECs and Apprenticeships and the ‘vocational’ route to university
Key Stage 5
The HiHo Guide to Student Finance
This workshop covers the ins and outs of student finance, including how to apply for it, how much students are entitled to, and how repayments work.
- Understand what tuition fee loans and maintenance loans are
- Understand how to apply for student finance
- Understand how and when repayments are triggered, and how much these are likely to be
How to Choose a University
Impartial and practical advice on how to choose the right university and course.
- Learn about the differences between universities
- Learn about how to use UCAS to search for relevant courses
- Learn about visiting universities via Open Days to get some first-hand experience
What other schools have said
Brilliant delivery! Higher Horizons have really friendly staff delivering engaging activities.Ashley Meakin, Music Teacher, Moorside High